The caterpillar cardigan is finished, and it turned out just the way I imagined.
Now, considering that I didn’t follow a pattern (or even much of a plan, to be honest), that’s remarkable. I cast on because I knew I liked the yarn combination (previously tested in a shawl for which I need to write down a pattern) and a rather vague idea.
Stripes, so went the idea, and maybe some texture.
So what I did was alternate 4 stockinette rows of green heathered lambswool with 2 purl rows of pink/plum Aade long. And it created exactly the effect I was after. Yay!
The construction was super simple, just a top-down raglan with what I hoped would turn into a boat neck collar … not sure that turned out the way I imagined, but I like the result nonetheless.
These are the things that went well.
Not so well went the striping on the arms. I checked out a video for jogless stripes, and it did make the issue a little bit better, but the stripes are still a bit uneven.
It’s also a regular PITA to knit stripes on the arms in the round. I’ll just say two word: YARN TANGLE. About half-way through the first sleeve I found a way to make it a bit better, though – I dropped the pink yarn down inside the sleeve when I wasn’t working with it. That kept the yarn out of my way. It’s a wee bit fiddly to find and retrieve it every 4 rounds, but it’s a lot better than trying to keep it from tangling up with the working yarn.
Two things I love in particlar – the buttons:
This is not going to surprise you if you followed my blog for a little while, my
obsession with love for vintage buttons is well documented. These I found in a 2nd hand shop called Snooper’s Paradise, and it’s the kind of shop you shouldn’t enter if you don’t have a few hours to spend. I kid you not, they have litereally EVERYTHING.
The other is the way the striping of the yarn turned out. I didn’t plan it, and I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it, I just grabbed the next ball when needed – but not only is the somewhat VERY pink pink kept to a minimum, I love that the arms show the darkest and the lightest in the colourway.
A bonus is that this carding looks distinctly different from all cardigans I’ve made so far, even if it uses the same basic construction technique as two of my previous ones. I was wondering if one day I’ll end up with a million garments that are all basically the same … clearly that gruesome fate can be avoided!