I’m nearly caught up to where I was before frogging it all.
Can you see how the lace panel cuts in and out of the garter border? That’s how it’s written up in the pattern, but I didn’t really like it, so I decided to “fix” the pattern. And please forgive the crappy shot, it was after midnight and I had to frog right then so I could cry myself to sleep after that and wouldn’t lose all of today fretting.
Let me show you what my thinking process looks like:
At the top left you can see my chart of the pattern according to the Newspaper.
Beneath that is the band from the yarn I’m using, in case I need/want to buy more at a later point – this way, I’ll always know where to find my reference sample (yes, that’s a braided sample right next to it).
Underneath my new, cleaned up chart. I made one further adjustment while knitting into the first lace panel, tho, and that was to take off one stitch at the end. That means what I knitted was 17 stitches garter stitch, 9 full repeats of the lace pattern, one repeat minus last stitch (which would have been the “groove” purl between the single repeats) and finally another 17 stitches in garter stitch.
I am much, much happier with what it looks like now – oh, I also changed from “knit 2 together” on both sides of a lace panel to “ssk” on the right side and “k2tog” on the left sides.
Two more things:
- The pattern calls for you to knit the first row into the back of the stitches. I had never heard or seen this before, but will from now on do it ALL THE TIME. Yes, it makes such a big difference, I had to shout that at you.
- Always slip the 1st stitch purl wise. It gives a much better finish, no matter what you intend to do with it in the end. The pattern describes a crochet lace stitch to finish this off, but somehow I imagine that being a hazard for little baby fingers, and lean towards an applied i-cord. Thankfully, I have some time to decide on that one.