That (points up) was the plan: my first color work socks. In green and blue, with a
lovely gruesome pirate motive.
So I cast on, knit happily along, shortly pondered to swap my usual short-row heel with the Sweet Tomato heel by Cat Bordhi, decided to just carry on, finally hit the color work rows.
That’s where things got interesting. Firstly, I decided that I wanted a different yarn, so I swapped the blue for my hand dyed The Poison. Which was a bit of a mistake, as it’s slightly thicker than the green base yarn I was using.
Ah, well, not the end of the world.
I fought my way through the pirates pattern, with some trepidation … old, long forgotten memories of crumpled color work kept popping up in my mind. I did, however, finish the chart.
Only to find out that the pirates looked alright, just had zero stretch. Now, that is a bad thing in a sock. They would not go over my heel (yes, I tried. No, I did not take photos.)
So … I frogged the pattern, decided I need a bit more practice, and finished the sock with a simplified pattern:
Apologies for the abysmal photo … it’s winter. This was the sliver of daylight I could catch today before I left for work. I’ll try again, one of these days …