Weekend emergency knitting

This weekend, I mostly made a pair of emergency slippers.

That was the plan, anyways.

This is why:

Oh noes!
Oh noes!

My beloved slippers had holes!

So I cast on to replicate them. But, of course, me being me, I can’t just follow the pattern I know works. Partly because there really wasn’t much in terms of a pattern. Let me show you my notes:

slipper notes
slipper notes

Yeah. That’s what I thought, too … so I decided to take these as a loose guide, and make new slippers with a different yarn and smaller needles, as summer’s on the doorstep anyways.

I cast on using a 4mm needle instead of a 6mm, and one strand of yarn instead of using it doubled up.

Here’s one finished and one freshly cast on new slipper:

New Slipper
New Slipper

Basically, these are knit flat, and then get seamed up at the heel, on top of the instep and at the front. Since they’re felted, that works out nicely, as all the seams pretty much disappear, and you can shape them to your foot, so no awkward angles will remain.

They also have a pretty cool feature, a ribbed sole, which give the fabric more body, makes it thicker and cushier (and more durable, I thought, but maybe I have to reconsider on that point …).

These also knit up quickly, so I finished them Saturday afternoon, stuck them in the washing machine to felt (HOT, with a pair of old jeans for added agitation), and settled down to watch some Silent Witness on BBC iPlayer.

When I pulled my new slippers out, it was immediately clear that altering the pattern (uh-hum) had not been such a great idea. They were too big.

Now, I consider this part of the fun with felting – you never quite know what you’ll get in the end, and that adds a certain suspense I appreciate. But in this case MY FEET WERE FREEZING. I don’t have time for this, dear slippers!

So I fretted a bit, with my cold feet wrapped in a blankie, and then it hit me. I would do what I should have done in the first place: make the slippers some proper soles.

Stacking soles
Stacking soles

After the huge new slippers had dried, I used them to cut an insole, then produced some fake leather from my stash for the outer sole.

Cut, pin, stack
Cut, pin, stack

I pinned, sew, swore, and succeeded:

Sucess!
Sucess!

Brilliant – my feet are warm again, and the slippers have been fixed. Now I can go about replicating them – and trust me, the next pair will get a sole from the beginning.

Advertisements

Author: kokorimbaud

Love all things vintage, especially knitting from the victorian era through to the swinging twenties.

1 thought on “Weekend emergency knitting”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s