This was the weekend I really, really wanted to finish the black corduroy version of my beloved Jalie Jeans. It should not be.
For the first time, I ran into serious mechanical issues. And by mechanical, I mean that my thread would rip about every 10 or stitches. Okay, maybe I’m being a bit overly dramatic, but believe me when I tell you that I stitched some seams up to 5 times.
I tried different thread. Different needles. All possible combinations thereof. One needle broke – it actually kinda pulverized, which was cute in a “oh, wait, this is NOT a youtube video?? NOOOOO!” way.
After fighting with the various seams for a couple of hours, I decided I’d go into town on Sunday, buy some heavy-duty thread and see if that would help.
My hopes weren’ high, as I’ve made a similar pair of jeans out of corduroy before, and I didn’t have any issues with the thread (or the increasingly worrisome noise my sewing machine was making).
However, this was the one thing left to try, so I did. Turns out the thread is no longer ripping, the noise is much better (not entirely gone, but I’ve come to think this fabric is sturdier than the last one, and it’s just the noise of the poor little machine trying to drill the needle through up to 6 layers of the stuff), but I have lost my steam.
All I could bring myself to do was check it actually works, fix a couple of seams (for the 6th time) and then leave it be.
I’m sure there will be another Jalie, but it won’t be this weekend 🙂 Since the fabric has been stashed for about a year, I feel not too pressed, although I could use a pair of black trousers. Or so I keep hoping.