Wiksten tova, country style

When I made my last Laurel, I also managed to squeeze a Wiksten Tova out of the length of fabric I had – 2m in all.

This was mostly sewed up a couple of weeks ago, but then the collar happened. I had left myself a message on the pattern piece, instructing a future self to “add 1.5 inches on ALL sides”. Sadly, tho, I didn’t heed my advice and did not add a single millimeter to that pattern piece. I also decided the best use of the tiny square of left overs would be to cut bias strips.

Well, I thought, maybe it’ll just magically fit. Like that ever worked 😀 Of course it didn’t. I ended up with a pleat at the back collar, which made the whole shirt very Bellringer of Notre-Dame, if you get my gist. And really nowhere near enough fabric left to cut a new collar.

This caused a two week delay in finishing this shirt. Eventually, I got over myself, hacked the collar off and just did a bias finish. I actually quiete like it 😀

Wiksten Tova front
Wiksten Tova front,  while wondering what the burning object  in the sky is.

The fitting issues in the back are now completely dealt with, and this will become a TNT pattern for the hot summer months here, I’m sure.

Wiksten Tova back
Wiksten Tova back

Nothing new to say about the pattern – it goes together easily and quickly. The only other change than a broad shoulder adjustment was to put some lightweight fusible interfacing in the placket, to help it stand up a bit.

In other news, the house I’m renting came with a few rose bushes in the back. My first action was to give them a good (or so I hope … ) pruning. They thanked me by starting to bloom mere weeks later:

Roses
Roses

My tomatoes are also doing reasonably well … the birds have ripped out most of the Black Cherry ones, and I have only one left (unless I’m confused about what the other ones are, which is utterly impossible highly likely.) They are growing like mad, tho, so I have high hopes for home-grown tomatoes in a few months from now.

I never got the hype about Liberty fabrics.

Until today, that is.

Maybe you remember this post? I certainly do. This fabric just kept spooking around in my head. And a couple of weeks ago, I felt like I needed to treat myself to some luxury. So off I went on a virtual shopping tour, and ordered the most expensive single meter of fabric I’ve ever bought.

It was delivered today – to my actual house, an occurence so rare that it’s noteworthy! – and it’s even prettier in person. It’s also so soft and floaty … yeah, this is love, actually. (It’s also pre-washed already and drying in the gentle breeze on my balcony. I know.)

Just freshly unwrapped - oh, the pretty! It hurts!
Just freshly unwrapped – oh, the pretty! It hurts!

This is totally destined to be another Laurel!

Speaking of gentle breeze – today, as for the last several days, the Levante was blowing. And that makes for a bizarre phenomenon, The Rock is covered in a cloud that seems to be floating over it’s top (well, it actually does …) while over the border in Spain, it’s sunny and 5C warmer.

Levante.
Levante.

And to make for a really great day, I’ve also scored massively at the De-Stash event of the Knitting Club in Gibraltar.

Score!!
Score!!

100gr of Noro, conveniently wound already. I’m not entirely sure what it is, I suspect Silk Garden, but to be honest, I don’t really care. I’ve loved each and every single Noro yarn I’ve touched so far, so I’m down.

Even better – something I’ve coveted for a long time, but didn’t quite have the play money to buy – Baby Alpaca! 16 x 50gr worth of it, to be exact – at 2 GBP each. So excited!

Now to quickly finish this baby present I’m actually supposed to be knitting right now … see you later!

Resting on my laurels

After finishing the first version of Colette’s Laurel, I knew I’d be making more.

The pattern is well drafted, easy to put together and I think really versatile. Which didn’t stop me from basically making the same version again, just in a very lightweight cotton plaid this time.

The fabric has been in my stash for a while – it was purchased at Fabricland, which I miss sorely. Initially, I thought I’d be making a shirt from it, and there still is a shirt (Archer, if you must know) in my hopefully near future, it will just not be this fabric.

Because it’s so lightweight, and frays rather easily, I did something previously unheard of on this blog: french seams. Yeah, I didn’t see that one coming either.

Plaid Laurel french seams
Plaid Laurel french seams

There were two minor issues with the french seams – well, actually they’re the same issue 😀 Because I didn’t really think about it until I’d cut into my fashion fabric, I didn’t widen the seam allowances. Hence I didn’t dare to do french seams in the armscye, for fear it would be too small.

Instead, I sewed two seams very closely together and zigzagged over the seam allowance – I hope that will give the seams enough stability.

Becaues of that, and the fact that this fabric has literally no stretch, it’s a tad tighter than the first one I made, but it’s just okay – I’ve only got to remember to not put on any weight at all.

Plaid Laurel front
Plaid Laurel front

I also changed the method of bias binding the arms slightly, so that the bias band is visible on the outside – I rather like the effect of cutting plaid on the bias, so wanted to show of a teensy peak of it.

Plaid Laurel back
Plaid Laurel back

I also shaved off a scant 1/4 inch or so of the back armscye, and the wrinkles are gone. It stands to reason that this might also be furthered by the french seams, tho. Whatever it was, I’m pretty happy with the fit – it’s a little restrictive over the upper back, but not so much so that I’m unable to raise my arms.

And I have to agree with SewBusyLizzy – the neckline is pretty darn perfect.