The pattern is well drafted, easy to put together and I think really versatile. Which didn’t stop me from basically making the same version again, just in a very lightweight cotton plaid this time.
The fabric has been in my stash for a while – it was purchased at Fabricland, which I miss sorely. Initially, I thought I’d be making a shirt from it, and there still is a shirt (Archer, if you must know) in my hopefully near future, it will just not be this fabric.
Because it’s so lightweight, and frays rather easily, I did something previously unheard of on this blog: french seams. Yeah, I didn’t see that one coming either.
There were two minor issues with the french seams – well, actually they’re the same issue 😀 Because I didn’t really think about it until I’d cut into my fashion fabric, I didn’t widen the seam allowances. Hence I didn’t dare to do french seams in the armscye, for fear it would be too small.
Instead, I sewed two seams very closely together and zigzagged over the seam allowance – I hope that will give the seams enough stability.
Becaues of that, and the fact that this fabric has literally no stretch, it’s a tad tighter than the first one I made, but it’s just okay – I’ve only got to remember to not put on any weight at all.
I also changed the method of bias binding the arms slightly, so that the bias band is visible on the outside – I rather like the effect of cutting plaid on the bias, so wanted to show of a teensy peak of it.
I also shaved off a scant 1/4 inch or so of the back armscye, and the wrinkles are gone. It stands to reason that this might also be furthered by the french seams, tho. Whatever it was, I’m pretty happy with the fit – it’s a little restrictive over the upper back, but not so much so that I’m unable to raise my arms.
And I have to agree with SewBusyLizzy – the neckline is pretty darn perfect.