Belcarra

Today I did another wardrobe clean out. I’ve done a few of these over the last couple of weeks – a lot of my clothes don’t fit me any longer because I’ve lost quite a bit of weight, and some others I’m just over.

All those geeky t-shirts? Still there, but probably they will be worn around the house more and less in public going forward. Although I stand by what I said to a friend recently – I doubt I’ll ever dress “age appropriately”. So all bets are off concerning these t-shirts …

Anyways, point in question – I need some easy basics to fill those gaps. To address this need, I decided to give my first Sewaholic pattern a try: the Belcarra blouse.

Because my relationship with woven tops is a little tense at the best of times, I went for a muslin and used  the last bit of my toile de jolie for it, leftover from this Archer.

It went mostly okay … but after I’d hacked off a good 2 inches from the length, the flare was more a peplum.

Belcarra toile back
Belcarra toile back

And there’s neckline gaping. Which, after carefully inspecting the shop photos for this, I suspect may be a pattern issue as much as one of my lacking skills.

Belcarra toile front
Belcarra toile front

So I shortened the pattern pieces along the proper lines, trued up the side seams and proceeded to make one more out of a lovely remnant I bought during  a recent visit to Brighton, in the totally adorable shop Ditto. If you ever are around there you should totally go – just not on one of the first sunny Saturdays while the Fringe Festival is on. It was madness.

Anyways, the second one came out better, although there’s still some gaping in the neck line and I might have made it a tad too short now – you can see the no longer huge but still present testament to my genetically inherited love for beer peek out here.

Belcarra fo' realz
Belcarra fo’ realz

The matter isn’t helped by the jeans I’ve shrunk out of to the point where the belt just barely keeps them on my hips …

I made my own bias, following some handy tutorials about how to do just that by using the ironing board and a sewing pin, like this one from Coletterie. Which was surprisingly easy and even, dare I say it, a little bit fun 😀

The pattern itself is alright, I’m still on the fence as to whether I’ll make more of these, but maybe I just need to wear them a few more times. I suspect that a life time of wearing mostly stretch tops may mean it’ll take a while for me to get used to wovens.