Of feet and pirates

Pirate socks, still sans pirates 1
Pirate socks, still sans pirates 1

That (points up) was the plan: my first color work socks. In green and blue, with a lovely gruesome pirate motive.

So I cast on, knit happily along, shortly pondered to swap my usual short-row heel with the Sweet Tomato heel by Cat Bordhi, decided to just carry on, finally hit the color work rows.

That’s where things got interesting. Firstly, I decided that I wanted a different yarn, so I swapped the blue for my hand dyed The Poison. Which was a bit of a mistake, as it’s slightly thicker than the green base yarn I was using.

Ah, well, not the end of the world.

I fought my way through the pirates pattern, with some trepidation … old, long forgotten memories of crumpled color work kept popping up in my mind. I did, however, finish the chart.

Only to find out that the pirates looked alright, just had zero stretch. Now, that is a bad thing in a sock. They would not go over my heel (yes, I tried. No, I did not take photos.)

So … I frogged the pattern, decided I need a bit more practice, and finished the sock with a simplified pattern:

Sadly no pirates
Sadly no pirates

Apologies for the abysmal photo … it’s winter. This was the sliver of daylight I could catch today before I left for work. I’ll try again, one of these days …

Adventures in hand-painted yarns

The Poison
The Poison

This was the first in a row of three skeins I hand-painted or bowl-dyed in my kitchen last week. The Poison is dyed with food coloring, and it’s … well, let’s say not exactly what I had in mind.

My idea was to mix blue, green and some yellow to create a green undertone with blue and brighter highlights. What I got was yellow with some green-ish stripes. The blue, however, turned out lovely, the lighter stripes somewhat watery, and some impressively dark ones, too.

Light blue with purple stars
Light blue with purple stars

The above was my first experiment with Dylon hand dye, and it turned out much better than I expected. While soaking it, I started to experiment, and just sprinkled some of the dye powder directly onto the yarn. That’s what created the purple stars.

Not grey
Not grey

And then, last but not least, this one. Another Dylon experiment gone wrong, the idea was to dye a semi-solid grey. And sprinkle some of the left-over blue on, so it would have blue highlights. That didn’t work out as planned. As you can see, it’s purple with some grey streaks. I think I would have liked the grey … I’ll have to try again. Maybe less dye (I was using the full pack on a ~3l bowl), and maybe leave out the blue …

Dying my own yarn

First home dyed yarn
First home dyed yarn

A few weeks ago, Rebecca of Chemknits blogged a tutorial about space dying at home, with food colours. I was immediately intrigued.

Continue reading “Dying my own yarn”