Of Socks with Heel Flaps

Sock knitting and I have a bit of a checkered history.

Despite the fact that I always loved wearing hand knit socks, I never really liked to make them. Back in the day, when I learned to knit, more years ago than is appropriate to reveal publicly, there was only one method. You started at the cuff, did a heel flap and then grafted the toes together.

My heels were always more or less complete failures – having small instead of gaping holes along the pickup sides of the flap counted as a major success. My grafting sucked, and the toe ends were always more or less puckered, with a few holes added for good measure.

In short, my socks were mostly unwearable, which of course totally defeated the purpose of making them, especially since it was such a painful and frustrating process – the two circular method wasn’t around, either.

Socks! With heels!
Socks! With heels!

Fast forward 20 an undisclosed number of years, and there are more methods to make socks than I have fingers on my hand. Both hands, actually.

So I started to make toe ups socks, with short-row heels, and I was in sock heaven. Easy-peasy, a pair made in a couple of days. Brilliant.

Then a friend on G+ vented her frustration about heel flaps, and the great community came up with a lot of great advice, and I felt inspired to try a toe-up sock with heel flaps.

Enter Wendy D. Johnson and her book , “Socks from the toe up” – there’s a link on the right hand side, if you’d like to check it out. I chose to make the “Mock Cable Socks”, but modified the pattern a bit, and swapped the cables for Eyelet Mock Cable Rib.

They turned out perfect, if I may say so myself:

The Mighty Slip Stitch Heel
The Mighty Slip Stitch Heel

Of Left-over Yarn and Matching Mitts

Matching MItts
Matching Mitts

After finishing the Fickle-Zen KAL, I had some of the lovely yarn left, and I thought how nice it would be to have a pair of matching mitts for the shawl.

But me being my usual me, I wasn’t sure there was *enough* yarn left for a pair of mitts … thankfully, my genius idea was had by someone else in my Ravelry group, too, and she didn’t over-think the whole thing, just made the mitts and shared a photo.

Hence I was encouraged to follow trait and started on my own pair.

Matching Mitts Side
Matching Mitts Side

Initially, I considered using a lace element from the shawl, to make them truly matching. Then it occurred to me that Michelle, the lovely designer of the shawl, might not like that (understandably so!). So I settled for creating my own design.

The cuff is a twisted rib, the pattern for the main body mostly stockinette and reverse stockinette, separated by two mock-eyelet cables. The top brim is accentuated by a row of eyelets.

Matching Mitts brim
Matching Mitts brim

Things I have learned:

– a little ball of yarn might go farther than one expects.

– hands look symmetrical, but aren’t.

– try anyways.