Of Left-over Yarn and Matching Mitts

Matching MItts
Matching Mitts

After finishing the Fickle-Zen KAL, I had some of the lovely yarn left, and I thought how nice it would be to have a pair of matching mitts for the shawl.

But me being my usual me, I wasn’t sure there was *enough* yarn left for a pair of mitts … thankfully, my genius idea was had by someone else in my Ravelry group, too, and she didn’t over-think the whole thing, just made the mitts and shared a photo.

Hence I was encouraged to follow trait and started on my own pair.

Matching Mitts Side
Matching Mitts Side

Initially, I considered using a lace element from the shawl, to make them truly matching. Then it occurred to me that Michelle, the lovely designer of the shawl, might not like that (understandably so!). So I settled for creating my own design.

The cuff is a twisted rib, the pattern for the main body mostly stockinette and reverse stockinette, separated by two mock-eyelet cables. The top brim is accentuated by a row of eyelets.

Matching Mitts brim
Matching Mitts brim

Things I have learned:

– a little ball of yarn might go farther than one expects.

– hands look symmetrical, but aren’t.

– try anyways.

Advertisements