The Walker Treasury

This weekend, I found myself searching the interwebz for slip-stitch patterns, as I’d like to do a variation on my socks, and also have seen some nice photographs of other slip-stitch patterns I can tell I’d love on socks.

While doing so, I found The Walker Treasury. I’m sure many of you already know about it, but I didn’t, and I’m in awe. So much so that I might even reconsider my own puny (and woefully neglected) stitch library

If you haven’t seen it yet, go check it out!

Stitch Library: Brioche Rib

Brioche Rib
Brioche Rib

I do apologize for the somewhat crappy photo, and the long hiatus my stitch library has seen.

Life’s been a bit crazy lately, and it’s not going to get any better soon. The Stitch Library will be updated as often as I get around, which might not be as regularly as I had hoped. Ah, well. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

This stitch would be perfect for a scarf, as it doesn’t really have a right or wrong side. It also creates a nice, full, fluffy feeling for the knit: The Brioche Rib.

New Stitch: Eyelet Mock-Cable Rib

Eyelet Mock-Cable Rib
Eyelet Mock-Cable Rib

A new stitch has been added to the Stitch Library: The Eyelet Mock-Cable Rib.

It’s a simple to do, but great looking rib pattern. The Twist is an easy sso, and the the eyelet gives it a bit more depth. Wondering what I should do with this one?

New Stitch: Faggoting!

Another stitch has been added to the stitch library today: Faggoting.

This was  a stitch heavily used in Victorian lace knitting, and if you’re knew to lace knitting, it’s a nice and easy one to start practicing with.

It works over a multiple of 3, and can easily be varied by doing single or double yarn overs.

I have used it recently in a WIP I meant to show you anyways, namely this jumper:

Jumper with open lace panel
Jumper with open lace panel

This is worked in Mohair-Mix, which has a very pretty colour, but is a bit of a pain to work with, really, as it splits very, very easy (and I’m not one to often have splitting issues), and which is twisted rather badly. This results in the different strands of the yarn becoming undone, and often the mohair strand will be “longer” than the rest and will need to be twisted in, or fumbled out at the and of the row.

The photo is not entirely true to colour as I took it with my phone and an app applying an HDR effect.

Here’s a close up:

Faggoting detail - Jumper
Faggoting detail - Jumper

This is worked slightly different from the pattern, as I have not alternated row one and three, but stuck with “K1, Yo, K2tog” in all right side rows. Wrong side rows are purled.

New page: Stitch Library!

As you might have noticed, I have added a new page: The Stitch Library.

I’m always on the lookout for new stitches, and I take them where I find them and how I find them. However, I found it’s nearly impossible for me to follow a written lace pattern, while working off a chart is rather easy and makes memorizing the stitches and visualising the pattern a breeze for me.

That of course means that rather often, before I actually start knitting anything, I spent half an hour (or so) in front of my PC and chart my pattern.

And because there probably are more peeps out there who find it easier to work off a chart, I am sharing my stitch library with y’all! All stitches in there will be offered as .pdf document, and include written and charted write-ups.

Right now, there’s only one measly stitch to find … please be kind and patient with me, I’ll build it up one by one! And no, you won’t have to wait for me to start or *gasp* even finish a new project before I add the next stitch. I’m aiming for at least one per week, possibly more, though.

Here’s the first pattern: Fern Lace.

Tell me – what do you prefer, written or charted?

Cast on, the 2nd

A monster
A monster

After spending about 15 hours knitting through 3 entire balls of yarn, I began to suspect that I had a monster on my needles.

The original pattern suggests 9 oz of 4-ply yarn, knitted on a no. 7 needle.

I researched. Being from Germany, ounce is not a measure that easily translates to me, so I found a website with a handy converter. It said:

9 oz = 255.145 g

I ordered 6 balls a 50g, thinking I’d be on the safe side. When I realized that after 3 balls I wasn’t even close to being halfway through (as I should have been), as a matter of fact hadn’t even finished a single full repeat of the lace pattern, it dawned on my that something was wrong.

Next up for questioning: the needles. I was knitting on 4mm bamboo circular needles. I double-checked. Here and here. And in a few other places. All of them indicated that my needles, if anything, would be a tad smaller than suggested for the original pattern. Still, I ended up with 112cm of baby blanket.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not the cheap kind. I’d be happy to just buy more wool, and knit may way through this – but it’s simply too big. It’s of no use for a tiny baby. The poor thing would probably drown in it.

So, without further ado, I frogged the monster blanket. *cue worlds tiniest violin* And cast on again, this time about half the stitches specified in the pattern. We’ll see how that goes, but so far, it looks good.

And in fact, there was another aspect of the pattern I didn’t really like which I can fix now. More details about that in a future post.

Cast on, the 2nd
Cast on, the 2nd